Cardinal Thomas Collins appointed to the Congregation for Catholic Education and the Pontifical Council for Social Communications
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Pope Benedict XVI, on April 21, 2012, appointed His Eminence Thomas Cardinal Collins, Archbishop of Toronto, as a member of the Congregation for Catholic Education and of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications. He had also been a member of the latter when the Holy Father elevated him to the College of Cardinals on February 18, 2012.
Previously, the Holy Father had named Cardinal Collins as a member of the Special Assembly of the Synod of Bishops for the Middle East in 2010. As well, both he and the Most Reverend Terrence Prendergast, S.J., Archbishop of Ottawa, were two of the four North American Bishops whom the Holy Father had named as Apostolic Visitors to four dioceses in Ireland. Cardinal Collins is also the delegate of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for the Canadian implementation of Anglicanorum Coetibus. In addition to these appointments of the Holy See, Cardinal Collins serves on the editorial committee of the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) which assists Episcopal Conferences in preparing English-language translations of liturgical texts.
His Eminence Jean-Claude Cardinal Turcotte, Archbishop Emeritus of Montreal, is currently a member of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, and of the Post-Synodal Council for the Special Assembly for America of the Synod of Bishops. His Eminence Marc Cardinal Ouellet, Archbishop Emeritus of Quebec City, is the Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and President of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America. He is also a member of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the Congregation for the Clergy, the Congregation for Catholic Education, the Pontifical Council for Culture, the Pontifical Council for Promoting New Evangelization, and the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses. Recently, the Holy Father appointed Cardinal Ouellet as the Papal Legate for the International Eucharistic Congress to be held in Dublin this June.
Other Canadian Bishops who also assist various Congregations, Councils, Commissions and Committees of Holy See:
– The Most Reverend Jacques Berthelet, C.S.V, Bishop Emeritus of Saint-Jean-Longueuil, is a consultor for the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life;
– The Most Reverend Nicola De Angelis, C.F.I.C, Bishop of Peterborough, is a member of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples;
– The Most Reverend Joseph Khoury, Eparchial Bishop for the Catholic Maronites of Canada, is a consultor for the Congregation for Oriental Churches;
– The Most Reverend Terrence Prendergast, S.J., Archbishop of Ottawa, assists the Congregation for Oriental Churches as a member of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association (CNEWA), and is also a member of the Committee Vox Clara;
– Bishop Severian S. Yakymyshyn, O.S.B.M., Ukrainian Eparchial Bishop Emeritus of New Westminister, assists the Congregation for the Oriental Churches as a consultor for its Special Commission on the Liturgy.